Understanding The Rose Cut DiamondA rose-cut diamond is a precious stone with a unique cutting technique that resembles the shape of a rosebud. It has between 3 and 24 facets with a flat bottom, creating a more extensive surface area for the stone's brilliance.
The History Of The Rose Cut Diamond
A rose-cut diamond is one of the oldest cuts in existence. It's believed to have been overly popular during the Victorian and Georgian eras, dating back to the 1500s. However, the rose-cut diamond fell out of fashion in the last century, thanks to technology making it possible to create more intricate cuts for maximum brilliance.
After noticing this, diamond cutters decided to recut rose-cut stones into brilliant shapes to revive interest in the jewelry. And as you can guess, this worked like a charm, and the once-out-of-favor rose-cut diamonds are now some of the most sought-after gems on the market.
Differences Between The Rose Cut And Other Diamonds
Being a rare cut, you can effortlessly tell the rose-cut diamond from other diamonds in appearance, shape specifics, brilliance, etc. For the sake of this guide, let's compare it to a round brilliant cut diamond:
- Shape specifics. The rose-cut diamond looks bigger than a round brilliant cut diamond of the same carat weight, thanks to the numerous facets on its surface.
- Appearance in a ring. Whereas a rose-cut looks fairly flat in a ring, a round brilliant cut appears slightly rounded.
- Brilliance. A rose-cut diamond shines brighter than a round brilliant cut because of all those facets.
- Color. A rose cut tends to be darker than a round brilliant cut.
Should You Buy A Rose Cut Diamond?
If you want an elegant and classy engagement ring for your spouse, a rose-cut diamond may be an option. Here are a few reasons you should consider buying one:
- It's beautiful. When you look at a rose-cut diamond, you'll notice that it's not just a pretty face. Its beauty comes from the way it reflects light, which results in a gorgeous glow.
- It's timeless. Because of their history, rose-cut diamonds are considered classic and elegant. They're also great for any occasion, whether going to a formal event or simply hanging out with friends.
- It's affordable. While there are many factors to consider when choosing an engagement ring, price shouldn't be one. With a rose-cut diamond weighing around 1/3 less than a similar-sized round brilliant cut, you won't need to spend nearly as much money.
- There are plenty of options. Depending on your preferred style, you may look at dozens of different designs before settling on one. But if you're looking for something special, you'll find what you're after among the hundreds of rose-cut diamonds available.